Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Our Foundation

The good Lord inspired me this morning, I have to give credit, where credit is due, to do a little research on our Country, our Founding Fathers, and our Freedom. Where did these incredible men find their inspiration? What motivated them to create this Republic, and, yes, it was founded as a Republic (Legislators have aborted this term, and now refer to this Country as a Democracy, that wasn't the original intent) In parenthesis I put 'original Intent', because we now have law-makers, that exclude this phrase from consideration for our Congress-Approved Justices, a major reason why we are on the decline today, this concept of Judicial Activism, I digress. The following is the FIRST PRAYER delivered to our Congress

The first prayer in Congress

September 7th, 1774
Jacob Duche
Carpenters Hall, Philadelphia

"Lord our Heavenly Father, High and Mighty King of kings, and Lord of lords, who dost from thy throne behold all the dwellers on earth and reignest with power supreme and uncontrolled over all the Kingdoms, Empires and Governments; look down in mercy, we beseech thee, on these our American States, who have fled to thee from the rod of the oppressor and thrown themselves on Thy gracious protection, desiring to be henceforth dependent on Thee, to Thee have they appealed for the righteousness of their cause; to Thee do they now look up for that countenance and support, which Thou alone canst give; take them, therefore, Heavenly Father, under Thy nurturing care; give them wisdom in Council and valor in the field; defeat the malicious designs of our cruel adversaries; convince them of the unrighteousness of their Cause and if they persist in their sanguinary purposes, of own unerring justice, sounding in their hearts, constrain them to drop the weapons of war from their unnerved hands in the day of battle! Be Thou present, O God of wisdom, and direct the councils of this honorable assembly; enable them to settle things on the best and surest foundation. That the scene of blood may be speedily closed; that order, harmony and peace may be effectually restored, and truth and justice, religion and piety, prevail and flourish amongst Thy people. Preserve the health of their bodies and vigor of their minds; shower down on them and the millions they here represent, such temporal blessings as Thou seest expedient for them in this world and crown them with everlasting glory in the world to come. all this we ask In the Name and through the merits of Jesus Christ, Thy Son and our Savior."

I attached this from the perspective of one of the early religious leaders from that time of great trepidation, and consternation. We forget the fear these early founders MUST have felt as they challenged the greatest Military establishment on this planet, Great Britain. By demonstrating, against the King's rulings, the net result were so many incidents, The Boston Massacre, where civilians were killed by the British Soldiers, and The Boston Tea Party, where Patriots stood against Royal Tyranny by dressing as Indians, and throwing a ship's Cargo of tea into the harbor, the tax they were so outraged about was only about 5%, of the price. But, it wasn't just the amount, it was the principle 'taxation without Representation', that is the basis for their revolt.

We stand here now, at the same crossroads, a time that makes men's knees tremble, their stomachs quake, we see and hear the same type of rhetoric,

Rep Eric Massa from New York, said this recently,....
.... the voice of the people be damned, (I take some liberties with his exact words, thus, there are no quotation marks) if I (Masses)feel, that the Public Plan for National Health Care (ObamaCare) is for their (the PEOPLE) betterment, I will vote that way, regardless of how loudly the people protest, and reject this plan.....

A remanifestation of the 'Taxation without Representation' phrase, probably better stated as 'Legislation without Representation', because the version of the House Bill HR3200 that I have seen [sec441, pg203, lines 14-15], states: the tax imposed under this section shall not be treated as a tax.

I wander back, now, to where God's will is a part of the Founding Fathers basis of belief. Here is a prayer, handwritten by George Washington, that addresses the continually re-iterated position that he was NOT a Christian; but, that he was a believer (a theist) in some sort of Higher Power, not of God, or of the Bible:

“ O Most Glorious God, in Jesus Christ, my merciful and loving Father; I acknowledge and confess my guilt in the weak and imperfect performance of the duties of this day. I have called on Thee for pardon and forgiveness of my sins, but so coldly and carelessly that my prayers are become my sin, and they stand in need of pardon.”
“ I have sinned against heaven and before Thee in thought, word, and deed. I have contemned Thy majesty and holy laws. I have likewise sinned by omitting what I ought to have done and committing what I ought not. I have rebelled against the light, despising Thy mercies and judgment, and broken my vows and promise. I have neglected the better things. My iniquities are multiplied and my sins are very great. I confess them, O Lord, with shame and sorrow, detestation and loathing and desire to be vile in my own eyes as I have rendered myself vile in Thine. I humbly beseech Thee to be merciful to me in the free pardon of my sins for the sake of Thy dear Son and only Savior Jesus Christ who came to call not the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Thou gavest Thy Son to die for me.”
[George Washington; from a 24 page authentic handwritten manuscript book dated April 21-23, 1752
William J. Johnson George Washington, the Christian (New York: The Abingdon Press, New York & Cincinnati, 1919), pp. 24-35.]

or from his adopted daughter's words, describing his credo, or motto, he lived by:

Nelly Custis-Lewis (Washington’s adopted daughter):
Is it necessary that any one should [ask], “Did General Washington avow himself to be a believer in Christianity?" As well may we question his patriotism, his heroic devotion to his country. His mottos were, "Deeds, not Words"; and, "For God and my Country."

Note in both cases I show sources, I feel that credit should be given for these words, to flank the nay-sayers. These are directly attributed to these documents, and should not, cannot, be discredited. Also, please note that both were written/transposed BEFORE the Declaration of Independence, I use these specifically because they show the foundation of believe, for this Country,and for the society at that time, prior to the Revolution was in the Bible, In Jesus, and in our God, the Lord of lords. We Cannot forsake our God, our Savior, as They ARE the source of strength for our Fathers. I will continue this dissertation on subsequent entries. We must hold fast to our principles, and to our Founders Faith, and Not wander away from THEIR truths, WHICH ARE HIS TRUTHS,.......SELAH, AMEN...............GSM

No comments:

Post a Comment